Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Panasonic TC P50V10 Good value and great picture quality

We purchased this television after looking at other Sony LCD and Panasonic plasma models (G10, S10). Even this higher end V10 is less money than a comparably sized LCD by several hundred dollars. I chose this model over the S series for its networking capabilites (renting streaming Amazon movies is pretty cool) and the G series for its 96Hz 24p film mode.

Picture quality is superior to my Sony LCD, with deeper blacks, vivid colors, and great off-axis viewing. I generally stick with the "standard" and "game" picture settings. The display seems more responsive than my LCD using my PS3 for games. THX mode also looks good with Blu-ray movies - not too dim, but perhaps a bit too green. We try to avoid leaving games paused too long to avoid burn-in.

The 4 cooling fans mounted on top of the unit are fairly quiet, I don't notice them. Our LCD does better in rooms with more sunlight and sound quality also seems better on the Sony overall, but the Panasonic may be more detailed.

Overall a positive experience, recommended.

UPDATE: I haven't experienced any "software" issues mentioned in a curious negative review here. I have found the menu system to be quite functional. This corroborates well with the glowing professional review from CNET.

No comments:

Post a Comment